Movie nights are a wonderful way to bring friends and family together. If you have a backyard, you can make the experience even more communal by turning your outdoor area into a movie theater. All you need is an inflatable projector screen. They come in different sizes and designs, so you can easily find an option that best suits your family’s needs. Here is a comprehensive guide covering all the essentials you need to know about them.
What Is an Inflatable Projector Screen?
An inflatable projector screen is an air-filled screen with a projector display surface attached to an inflatable frame. The projection surface mainly consists of PVC or spandex, while the frame is made of several PVC layers welded or mechanically sewn together. It uses air pumps or fans to fill the frame with air.
Inflatable screens work well for film festivals, pool parties, camping, outdoor movies, picnics, birthdays, sports games, and other events requiring outdoor projection. If you opt for a small backyard screen, consider choosing one that you can blow up before the movie begins so you don’t have to run the blower continuously. But for big occasions, or if you prefer a large projector screen, get one with a continuous air source to keep the screen fully inflated.
- EASY SET-UP: The inflatable movie screen is easy for just one person to set up and no need other tools, finish in less than 10 minutes. The package included White Screen, Support Frame, High Power Blower, Carry Bag, Tethers and Stake. (NOTE: The blower need to remain on to keep inflated. Please ZIP UP the zipper before inflating.)
- FRONT/REAR PROJECTION: This inflatable projector screen is upgraded to front and rear projection, 160°wide viewing Angle, 16:9 screen ratio, high color reduction. A lot of outdoor movie screens are only setup for front or rear projection, this one gives you both options which is greatly flexibility, you can see clear pictures on any side.
- HIGH POWER QUIET BLOWER: This outdoor movie screen includes a high power 110v 180w blower included can blow up this movie screen in 2 minutes, unlike other built-in low-power blower that can't support the frame to inflate. And the blower was so hardly noticeable once the movie started, bring you an immersive movie-watching experience.
- PORTABLE MOVIE THEATER: This amazing, huge outdoor projector screen comes with a convenient storage bag that allows you to carry your inflatable movie screen wherever you want. This portable projector screen is lightweight enough to take it with you in every relevant occasion for impressive projections.
- EASY MAINTENANCE: It's black frame was made of 210D oxford cloth which is durable and does not fade. The white screen is removable for easy cleaning and safe storage. Thus, it is really convenient to clean it. What's more, it support wash by machine. (It is recommended that the screen and frame be stored separately to prevent the white screen from getting dirty)
- 【High Quality Material & Easy to Clean】Use the 210D Oxford Cloth,Multiple Sewing Process ,The screen size is Bigger than similar products and the quality is better. The white display canvas is made of more delicate silk cloth with convenient velcros,fully detachable. The black frame is made of tougher oxford cloth to ensure durability. Easy to clean with cloth and don't broken.
- 【QUICK INFLATED】Quiet fan pump included can blow up this movie screen in few minutes and keeps it inflated throughout the show when plugged in; More importantly, the blower was so hardly noticeable once the movie started, bring you an immersive movie-watching experience; REMEMBER ZIP UP the zipper before inflating.
- 【EASY SET UP】The inflatable movie screen is easy and convenient to set up in 2 minutes or less. The outdoor movie screen includes a sturdy frame with wide base to avoid any movement from wind, white viewing area without seams (for rear and front projection), powerful electric blower ,and ropes, tethers, yard stakes(if it needs to be secured). And a 420D oxford handy bag are included for easy setup and storage.
- 【LESSLY PORTABLE 】This amazing, huge outdoor movie screen comes with a convenient storage bag that allows you to carry your inflatable movie screen wherever you want. This portable projector screen is lightweight enough to take it with you in every relevant occasion for impressive projections.
- 【ENJOY THE MOVIE OUTDOORS】Enjoy your favorite films on the big screen anytime with your family and friends in the backyard. A nice addition to resorts, outdoor parties, and special events. On the other hand, you can watch music videos, have a drink and get this party started with this Big outdoor Inflatable projector screen.
- ENJOY YOUR OUTDOOR MOVIE NIGHT: The blow up projector screen is a nice addition to outdoor parties, movie nights and special events! Our inflatable projecter screen with 160° viewing angle and higher screen position allow for social distanced movie going in the backyard!
- FAST INFLATED: It comes with quick and quiet blower, one-piece design inflatable movie screen outdoor, its white screen and black frame can full blowup inflation with low noise in around 2 minutes, and its anti-crease surface enhance image results and picture quality. Bring you an immersive movie-watching experience!
- STURDY AND STABLE: The white display canvas is made of polyester knitted fabric, the black frame is made of tougher oxford cloth to ensure durability. Our inflatable screen with upgrade triangular brace in both sides, make it more stable than others.
- EASY TO CLEAN&CARRY: Gently wipe the dust with damp clothes. This blow up movie screen outdoor can fold up for convenient storage, comes with a storage bag allows you take it to watch movies anywhere.
- AFTER SALES: 7*24h online service to provide you with professional help. Any more question please feel free to contact.
Are Inflatable Screens Any Good?
Yes, inflatable screens are easy to set up and offer surprisingly good quality. However, you need to get a screen made of good surface material to get the best picture quality. You’ll also need to think about which size will be best for your viewing area and how high the screen sits.
Keep in mind, too, that while inflatable screens can be great for a variety of uses, it really depends on what you’re going to do with them. If you want a permanent setup, inflatable screens might not be what you’re looking for; the same goes for if you want something that doesn’t take up a lot of space.
On the other hand, inflatable screens are relatively easy to set up and tear down, and they’re great for pop-up events, cookouts, and outdoor movie nights. Plus, they’ll provide better picture quality than projecting your videos directly onto a wall or similar uneven surface.
How Does an Inflatable Movie Screen Work?
Inflatable projector screens come with sturdy collapsible frames. Most of these inflatable screens have built-in air pumps that you just need to plug into a power source, and they’ll self-inflate. Some budget-friendly models require you to inflate them with a pump that’s bought separately.
Comparing Inflatable Projector screens With Other Types
Inflatable projector screens differ from the fixed frame options in that you can easily set them up, take them down, and conveniently move them from place to place. Another great thing about them is that you can get a bigger screen at a significantly lower price compared to a standing screen in a frame. When setting them up, you need to secure them firmly to prevent swaying, which can affect the viewing experience. You also need to keep the screen inflated throughout the movie, which can cause noise disruptions.
How to Set Up an Inflatable Movie Screen
Most people opt for a blow-up projector screen, especially for major events, because it takes less time to set up and tear it up after an event. Follow the steps below for easy setup.
Choose a Suitable Location
Decide where you want to set up your outdoor movie theater. Position the inflatable screen at least ten inches from buildings, fences, walls, power lines, and overhead branches. Also, opt for a shaded area with no direct light hitting the screen. Pick a well-ventilated space and ensure that any extension cords can reach a power outlet.
Unpack and Unroll the Inflatable Movie Screen
Take the screen out of the storage bag and lay it on a smooth flat surface free from stones, grass, and other debris. The screen projector’s white part should face upward so it doesn’t touch the ground. If you find it hard to differentiate the screen’s bottom and upper part, the base usually has an air intake for the air blower.
Secure the Stakes and Tethers
Uncoil the tethers in all four corners of the screen. To set up the screen on a lawn, hammer the stakes into the ground, about 15 feet away diagonally from the screen’s corners. When installing it on a hard surface, you can lay down sandbags at a similar distance. Next, attach the tethers on the screen to the stakes. The long tethers should clip onto the upper straps of the screen and the shorter ones to the lower straps. If the screen is 20 inches or above, you may have to tie the rope ends to the stakes, preferably using a clove hitch knot.
Connect the Air Blower
Look for the intake vent at the right part of the screen, pull it over the air blower’s pipe and attach it using a cinch cord. Tighten the cinch cord as securely as possible. Keep the air blower free from obstructions like dirt and leaves since they can block the vent. Also, place it on a dry surface. Now you can plug the air blower into a power outlet using an extension cord.
Inflate the Projector Screen
Start by closing the frame’s zipper completely. Next, power up the air blower and inflate the screen from the ground level. This should take about a minute. Leave the air blower running when watching to maintain the proper air pressure.
Set Up the Other Devices
Place the projector on a table about 25 feet from the standing screen, then plug it into power. You’ll need to plug your video source, like a laptop or DVD player, into the projector — this will most likely be with an HDMI cable, though some setups will require VGA or DisplayPort cables. Position the speakers on the ground on each side of the screen. Depending on your projector, you can connect them with an aux cable or XLR cable and use another aux cable to connect the speakers to your video source. Turn the power on for the projector, DVD player, laptop, and speakers. Align the image using the projector’s zoom, focus, and keystone features and adjust the sound accordingly.
How to Take Down the System After a Movie
Do not unplug the projector immediately — doing so could damage it. Instead, power down the projector, give it some time to cool down and then unplug it. Next, turn the speakers’ volume down, shut them down, then unplug them from the power outlet. Switch off the air pump, unzip the vent, then detach the intake sleeve from the blower.
Once you unplug the air blower, the screen should deflate within a few minutes. Pay special attention to the white screen and ensure it doesn’t touch the ground or get dirty. Next, remove the stakes from the ground, and unclip the tethers. Wipe off the dirt and debris on the stakes before storage. Carefully fold the screen and frame from the back to the front until you get a two feet strip. Roll it over and place it in the storage bag.
Care and Maintenance Tips for Your Inflatable Projector Screen
Continued use and natural elements can quickly soil your backyard movie screen. But the good news is that these screens are durable and easy to clean. You can prolong the lifespan of your inflatable projector screen by taking care of it and using it correctly.
Although you can use the screen in mild weather like gentle snow or rain showers, avoid extreme conditions. Don’t use it in temperatures below 14 degrees Fahrenheit, -10 degrees Celsius, or winds above 20 mph. Avoid packing the screen when wet since it can attract molds and mildew. If damp, hang it to dry completely before storage. Do not drag the projector screen across rough pavement or concrete surfaces to avoid damage.
For the frame, check it regularly for signs of deterioration that can weaken it, causing safety hazards. Also, inspect the conditions of the stakes often. If damaged, the stakes can make the screen unstable, causing accidents. Stop using the screen once you spot damage signs and contact the manufacturer for repairs.
Although the frames are usually made of high-quality materials, avoid using strong detergents when cleaning them. Instead, use a damp cloth to wipe off any dirt. But for stubborn stains, mix warm water with a mild detergent like dish soap and scrub gently with a soft cloth. Rinse off all the soap after cleaning and allow it to dry.
Inspect the screen for holes and other damages before use. If you spot snow or too much dust, clean this off before inflating it. Put the screen outside to thaw, remove the zip-in screen panel and wash it with cold water and a mild detergent on the delicate cycle. You can tumble dry it without heat.
Troubleshooting Common Inflatable Projector Screen Issues
After purchasing your blow-up projector screen, you must set it up correctly for it to work properly. Failure to which some problems might occur. Luckily we have outlined some common issues to watch out for when installing your screen to maximize your experiences.
Confirm whether you connected the air blower to a working power outlet if your screen frame fails to inflate. Check also the air intake area for clogs and remove any debris. Look for rips on the screen surface. If any, lay the screen flat on a clean surface and use a vinyl repair kit to patch the holes working from the rear of the screen to keep the repair invisible. If these fail to work, you may want to call a professional to identify and fix the issue.
Things to Consider When Buying an Inflatable Movie Screen
The best outdoor projector is one that meets your unique needs. Consider the factors below to guide you in picking the most suitable option.
Assess your needs to determine what projector size will best serve you. If you need a backyard screen, opt for a smaller one that leaves enough sitting area and a comfortable viewing room. A bigger screen will give you a wholesome experience if you plan to enjoy a movie night with family and friends at a campsite or park. Measure the space you want to set up the screen before purchase and leave enough space around the area where you can safely move to fix issues. Also, match the screen with your projector’s biggest image size for better resolution.
Choose an inflatable screen made from durable and easy-to-maintain material like PVC.
Choose a screen with accessories like ground stakes, sandbags, and tie rope. It should also have a quality storage bag for safe and easy transportation.
with a higher lumen that creates a brighter image, especially during the day. A screen with a black back also improves the image’s resolution and clarity. Check the aspect ratio, which should be around 16:9. Get a crease-free screen that pairs well with active 3D or 4K ultra-HD projectors.
Buy the screen from a brand that offers a good warranty. This way, you can return the product for repair or replacements if it develops issues shortly after use.
Benefits of Inflatable Movie Screens
If you are still unsure whether investing in an inflatable portable projector screen is worth it, check out the following benefits.
Easy to Set Up
Compared to a traditional backyard movie screen, an inflatable screen is easy to set up. You won’t have to drill your walls or assemble multiple parts. This is why most event planners prefer these outdoor screens since they help lower the production cost.
The inflatable movie screens are less expensive than other outdoor screens due to the materials used.
Unlike indoor pull-down projector screens, you can fold a blow-up projector screen into a compact mass and transport it to different locations.
With the first sign of rainfall or heavy snow, you can quickly deflate the portable projector screen and save it from damage.
With technological advancements, today’s inflatable movie screens have inventions like damper boxes that help reduce the blower noise. While watching in the backyard, the outdoor environment absorbs and dampens the blower sounds.
Works Perfectly Indoors and Outdoors
An inflatable screen allows you to enjoy indoor and outdoor movie experiences. Although some indoor screens may also work outside, they may not withstand wind gusts and can easily break.
To Sum Up…
An inflatable projector screen will help you create a drive-in movie theater experience at home to watch your favorite films under the stars at a significantly lower price. Compare different brands, read through reviews before purchase, and opt for the one with the highest rating. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to guide you in safely setting up and using the screen.