Projector technology is on its way to catching up with the rest of the technology world and long gone are the days of cheap projectors. Projector users have been left in the dark about the viewing experiences we’ve all been missing out on.
With awesome built-in speakers, HDMI ports, and improved image quality, color accuracy, and brightness, as well as many other features, buying a projector for the big screen has never been better—especially as 3D has arrived in the projector world. But it hasn’t always been that way. It’s only been the past decade or so that 3D technology has even been available to movie theaters and even more recently for high-end projectors for the home. We think it’s time you upgraded from that ancient projector you’ve had stashed away collecting dust for years to a cooler projector that you’ll use for every movie.
Whether you are looking for a mini projector to play video games in 3D, a super HD projector to screen the latest movie, or a portable projector with a decent screen size, there is a 3D projector waiting for you. These immersive and amazing projectors will have you involved in your home theater movie experience or even warped to another world while gaming. Get your 3D glasses ready as we learn more about 3D technology and about the best 3D projectors out there!
Active 3D Projectors vs. Passive 3D Projectors
The very first thing you should know is that there’s a difference between Active and Passive projectors. Active are more ideal for home or education use because they are less expensive, but passive projectors are recommended for commercial use.
Active 3D Projectors
Active 3D projectors rely on quality active 3D glasses. These special glasses can be pricey but it’s worth the investment. Active 3D projectors are less expensive than Passive 3D projectors so are often better for purchasing at home.
The projector is able to switch pictures back and forth between both of your eyes. Both your right and left eye gets the pleasure of HD resolution. The special 3D glasses (like these rechargeable ones) cover each eye accordingly and match up with the pictures on the screen. It has to be able to switch super fast (at about 60 times per second) otherwise your picture will flash.
Passive 3D Projectors
Passive high-resolution 3D projectors work a little differently. Most often, you need two projectors to make two images at the exact same time. These projectors create these images by using light polarization. Both projectors project a different polarization of light. These lights have to reflect on a special screen. When this light bounces off the screen, it polarizes (or divides).
Standard 3D glasses have a polarized filter that aligns and adjusts the image for your eyes. This is ideal for commercial use so that you can use passive polarized 3D glasses.
The Best 3D Projectors
$1,998 (check price on Amazon)
- Sony’s 3D home theater projector has a Full HD Resolution of 1080p by 1920p with 3500 lumens. It uses advanced SXRD panel technology and Advanced Reality Creation for an immersive detailed image.
- They use Motionflow technology to prevent any annoying flickering.
- The lens is a manual zoom lens with a 1.6x zoom ratio with a wide lens shift range.
- The projector has a built-in RF transmitter that easily syncs most 3D active glasses brand.
- The projector’s fan is made to be super quiet at only 22dB. It also is front facing to help eliminate the chances of the fan overheating.
- This projector has a screen size range of 102 to 162 inches at 16 feet.
- It has a lamp life of 6,000 hours in the low mode.
- It has a dual HDMI connectivity.
$799 (check price on Amazon)
- BenQ’s active 3D projector has a Full HD Resolution of 1080p by 1920p with 4000 lumens. This helps to create the best 3D images for your viewing and gaming pleasure.
- This projector is able to use Keystone Correction meaning it automatically fixes images when the projector isn’t aligned properly.
- It has a 120-inch screen image from up to 10 feet away.
- It has a clear contrast ratio of 1600:1.
- It uses Corner Fit that allows you to adjust each corner of the frame separately when needed.
- This projector has a 15000-hour lamp life on its lowest mode.
- It has a 10W built-in speaker for a super clear listening experience.
- It has the ability to turn your projector into a smart projector with MHL connectivity. You can directly hook your cell phone or tablet to the projector using one cord.
- It even has network control using LAN and RS-323 letting you be up to 50 feet from the projector.
- This projector only weighs 5.5 pounds making it easy to transport wherever you need to go including getting ready for a presentation at work.
$1,087 (check price on Amazon)
- Optoma’s 3D projector is a 1080p by 1920p of Full HD Resolution with 3500 lumens. It’s an ultra-short throw projector.
- The contrast of this projector is a 25000:1.
- This projector creates an amazing and clear 100-inch image from up to 13 inches away.
- It’s so easy to set up, you can simply place it where needed and hit Play.
- The projector has a 6,500-hour lamp life.
- It has a 3D sync port to sync your 3D active glasses easily.
- It has several connectivity options including a dual Audio In port, a dual HDMI port, and even a VGA In.
3D technology won’t be out of style for a long while. Now that projectors have caught up to the craze, it’s time to start having the theater experience in the comfort of your own home!